The enrolment protocol for O'Carolan College is as follows:
- Principal visits primary schools.
- Open night.
- Enrolment applications released.
- Return of application closing date.
- Offer of places.
- Entrance assessments and payment of book rental.
- Correspondance with parents regarding commencement of acedemic year.
- Commencement of academic year.
1. Principal visits primary schools.
In september, the principal of O'Carolan College visits the local primary schools and presents a glimpse of what our school has to offer. This allows the students prepare for their incoming journey in O'Carolan College and get answers to any questions they may have.
2. Open Night.
In october, we open our doors to incoming first years and their family, to show what we can offer our students. Parents and children are addressed by members of the staff and student body and then a tour of the school commences.
3. Enrolment applications released.
On the open night, parents and students recieve enrolment forms, which are to be returned to the office. If parents cannot attend the open night, they can call into the office to recieve a form.
4. Return of applications closing date.
Parents have approximately 3 weeks to fill in the application forms, and a return by date is chosen every year, typcially in November.
5. Offer of places.
Upon reception of all the application forms, the school offers places to incoming students for the next academic year in O'Carolan College.
6. Entrance assessments and payment of book rental.
In February, the incoming first years visit O'Carolan College and undertake an entrant's apptitude test for the school. This is an assessment that allows the school to gauge the student's natural abilities and identify their strengths. Book rental payment is also due in February.
7. Correspondance with parents regarding commencement of academic year.
Parents / gaurdians are sent a letter detailing when the school with open it's doors for the academic year, when the students are to return and a brief summary of what will occur during the first few days of term for the incoming first years.
8. Commencement of academic year.
The school opens it's doors to the returning and incoming students, and the year begins as normal.