Civic, Social and Political Education

C.S.P.E. is a compulsory subject for each class in the Junior Cycle. Each class is timetabled for one class per week over the course of the student’s three years preparing for the Junior Certificate. Where possible, teachers are given a class group which they also teach for another subject. This allows for teachers to be more familiar with the class group, as well as allowing for cross curricular teaching.  

The C.S.P.E. Department endeavours to promote an understanding of citizenship based on Human Rights and Social responsibilities. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the United Nations Convention of the Rights of the Child are two key documents which under-pin the C.S.P.E. course. We aim to develop our student’s potential for active citizenship at a personal, school, local, national and international level. We encourage in them a sense of belonging, a capacity to gain access to information and a confidence to participate in a democratic society.  To achieve this, seven concepts are identified and explored in a variety of ways.   

 

* Human dignity  

* Development  

* Law  

* Rights and Responsibilities  

* Stewardship  

* Democracy  

* Interdependence  

 

Students explore these concepts through activity based learning. Themes such as respect, racism, human rights, global warming, pollution, voting etc are discussed. A wide variety of activities are undertaken over the course of the three years, leading to the completion of an action project, which is worth 60% of the final mark in the Junior Certificate Examination. The remaining 40% is allocated to a written terminal examination, which examines the various concepts studied over the three years. A variety of action projects are undertaken each year. Each pupil, on completion of an action project, must be able to show the examiner how his/her action project relates to one of the core concepts. Student projects may be individual or group.